Tuesday, January 6, 2009

999 Book Challenge

Library Thing has a group that is doing a 999 challenge. Read 9 books in 9 categories by 9/9/09. You get to pick your own categories. I think it sounds like a fun way to push yourself to read new things. I'm going to be ambitious and read 9 adult and where appropriate 9 children's/ya books.

I've picked the following categories:
1. Award winners--Pulitzer, National Book Award, Nobel, etc. I will stick with fiction for these.
2. Classics--I'm going to try to keep this to classics I've never read, but I think I might sneak in a few that I just want to reread.
3. Biography/Memoir
4. Historical fiction--I'm shooting to do one book from a different time period, and try to do some different countries too. Most that I've read in this category tend to be set in England.
5. Mysteries--I'm planning on picking different locales for this one. For example, Burke's Robicheaux stories take place in New Orleans, Alexander McCall Smith in Botswana, and another in Scotland. I think this might be hard in the children's/ya area, but we'll see.
6. Science Fiction
7. Graphic Novels
8. Fantasy--I've been reading a fair bit in this genre, but I really want to get more breadth so I will try to focus on authors I haven't read before.
9. Horror--including supernatural/paranormal. This last category is the only one that I think might change. I don't do a lot in horror, because I'm a complete and utter wimp. However, I do love vampire, and other supernatural creatures, stories. A lot of the kids I've helped find books at work like scary stories.

No comments: