Monday, January 2, 2012

What if...


I don't ruminate much on this blog, well really at all. I mostly just use it as a way to document and share creative stuff I make. I'm in a ruminating mood today, with the new year. New Year's is one of my favorite holidays. I love the idea of saying goodbye to the last 12 months, and waking up with a fresh start. It's hopeful...optimistic...full of possibilities. So I've spent the last couple of days thinking about what I want my year to look like.

I am a creative person, but...it's not always easy for me. It's not easy to admit I'm creative, but I am. It manifests in my life in a variety of ways that I'm just starting to acknowledge. It's present on this blog. How many people do you know who decoupage their litter tub? :-D It's something I've been working on...embracing my creativity with wild abandon...one of my new year's resolutions.

Writing my resolutions got me thinking of one of my friends telling me about Debbie Macomber (an author) who picks a word every year to meditate on, to be the theme for her year. I liked that idea. I've been mulling it over in my mind since I heard about it a couple of days ago. If you pick a common word, then every time you hear the word you have a trigger. Almost like you are setting up your own subliminal programming for the year.

I like this idea on so many levels. I love words. They are so fun. Some just flow off the tongue and are so much fun to say...like zeugma. Others just have such wonderful meaning...like meraki. How do you pick just one word to be your theme, your meaning, your trigger for the year?

Well it came to me writing my resolutions. Embrace my creativity with wild abandon. Abandon. I looked it up on www.m-w.com. It's both as a verb and noun. As a noun it means "a thorough yielding to natural impulses." How awesome is that? I yielded to my natural impulses today by cooking all day. I cooked with wild abandon. It felt good. I was in a state of meraki.

As a verb it means "to cease from maintaining, practicing, or using." That works too. I'm working on abandoning any ideas, thoughts, patterns that don't help me be the best me I can be.

How cool is that? I get double meaning out of one word. Encouragement to trust my instincts, explore new experiences, create art that sings to my soul, and a gentle reminder to let go, to quiet that critical voice in my head. It fills me with hope and wonder at what the year will hold if I embrace the idea of abandon. Oh the possibilities just lead to a series of lovely, wonderful, optimistic, hopeful What if.... What if... What if...

1 comment:

jenn said...

I love, love, love this!!! What an awesome idea and what a wonderful and perfect word for 2012. I'll try to use it as many times as I can when we talk. ;-)