Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Kitchen Demo Day 13

Ah, lucky 13. NOT!

Throughout this whole kitchen planning process, everyone has been so concerned about removing my drop ceiling. Turns out that went without a hitch. No nasty surprises. The electrical wires were easy to move around, and the ductwork was easily modified. In fact except for needing a coat of paint, the ceiling is done.

The hitch is the floor! So my contractor noticed some pretty deep cracks after clearing out the appliances and cabinets. He thought he'd be able to patch it. As he pulled up the tile, he ran into more and more cracks, and then a pretty good size area where it was just crumbled. Most of the kitchen floor moves when you stand on it right now.

As I was learning of all this, the president of the HOA board came by, and asked to see my renovation. He was able to tell us that the concrete is about 1.5" thick and sits on some plywood. Then there's the rafters and my downstairs neighbor's ceiling. My contractor is concerned if he tried to pour self-leveling concrete over this, it might run downstairs. He can skim the bigger cracks, but is recommending I don't put tile down and go with a floated floor.

On top of this fun news, it's entirely possible that my cabinets won't be ready for 3 weeks, which would put them 4 weeks behind schedule. I really hope that's not the case. Hopefully I can find a good floor guy who might be able to repair this and still get my slate floor. SIGH!

No comments: