Thursday, May 29, 2014

Art Deco Dressers

I saw this Ikea hack a while ago and though it would be a great way to get the mirrored nightstands I've been wanting in my bedroom for ages. I hesitated because I wasn't sure I wanted white, but when I went to Ikea, they had the dresser in gray. Woot!

So I started with two of these:

Then I ordered the Jasmine overlays from O'verlays.


I got mirror cut at Lowe's. They sell mirrors in 24x30 sheets, and will cut it for you. This is about an inch and a half too short, which is fine since the overlay covers it. However, I thought it looked weird from the side, so I got some balsa wood and filled in on each side. I wish I would have seen these instructions before I started. But it all worked out. :-)

So I spray painted the overlays gray. I used Liquid Nails to glue the mirrors to the drawer fronts, and found industrial strength glue dots (!!! so fabulous each dot hold about 4oz, and they are capable of up to 8 lbs) to adhere the overlay to the mirror. I was a little worried that the cut edge of the mirror would be sharp and I might cut my hand open and closing the drawers, but it is actually ok.

Here's the end result!

No comments: