Saturday, September 3, 2016

New Machines

I've been thinking about a serger for a long time. My trusty Janome Magnolia 7330 struggled a bit with my shark skirt. I then tried to make a knit top with a silky jersey knit. My machine ate the fabric a couple of times, and really couldn't handle it. I decided to finally get a serger--a Brother 1034D. It sat in it's box of for almost 2 weeks. I was intimidated. Fortunately my favorite place, Stitch Lab, offered a serger class this week. It wasn't hard to thread and really easy to use. Yay.

During all the debacle with this knit top, I decided I also needed a new sewing machine. I finally outgrew my Magnolia. It has always done buttonholes erratically, and having more trouble with some of the various fabrics I wanted to use. I visited 4 different shops in town, and decided on a Viking Opal. She's a computerized machine packed with features and lots of stitches that I probably don't need. I've made one buttonhole and it was so easy. You tell Opal what kind of fabric and she automatically adjusts settings. I love that!

Meet Sergio and Opal.

No comments: