Sunday, January 28, 2018

Self Sewn Wardrobe Series - Shirt No 1

Our first project in the series is Shirt No 1. While I felt like the shirt would be easy to sew, I was concerned about fit. I have had trouble with shirts fitting me well. I have a large bust, but when I go by my measurements, I am often unhappy with the fit in my high bust.

I decided to give it a go using my high bust measurement, which means a Large. And after browsing the internet, I decided to add 1.5" to the length because of my height.

I used a lovely shot cotton in the moor color way. It's a lovely green and burgandy that changes depending on the light.

I learned how to make my own bias tape which is pretty cool. Instructions that come with the pattern are informative, especially for making your own bias tape.

Overall I was satisfied with the fit. If anything given the style it's a fitted, but doesn't feel uncomfortable or tight.

I decided to make another one in the next size up, and to make it 4" longer. The bust measurement is 2" smaller than my full bust measurement. It definitely fits more loosely, but I'm not satisfied with the fit. It feels like there's a bit of extra fabric in the high bust.


My measurements:
High bust 41"
Full bust 46"

Finished shirt measurements (disclaimer...I'm a bit inconsistent with my seam allowances so mileage may vary with these measurements)
L 47" with the added 1.5" to the length it is 23.25"
XL 49.5" with the added 4" to the length it's 27"

No comments: