Sunday, February 4, 2018

Shirt No 1 -- Quest for Fit

I really wasn't happy with the extra fabric in the armpit area when I made the next size up of Shirt No 1. I decided to tackle how to make it fit. I pulled out a couple of tops that have the kimono style/dolman sleeve. I looked at them compared them to my finished shirt and decided to try making the top sleeve angle more, and add the bit I was taking out to the bottom of the sleeve. It was a subtle difference, but I felt like I was getting somewhere. I still had a lot of extra fabric in the armpit. I decided to take in the pattern a 1/2" along the area with the extra fabric. So I slashed the pattern and taped it back a 1/2" in. It looked better, but really I was back at the original size with a few minor adjustments. Or I'm just overly sensitive to the extra fabric and it's not noticeable by anyone but me, and I did all of this for not.

It was a good exercise, but I have decided this type of top is not for me.

XL with only length modification

XL with shoulder seams at a stronger angle

XL with a 1/2" taking in through the upper bust

Really no different from the L

No comments: