Friday, May 20, 2011

Soft cheese making

Today I took a soft cheese making class, and I don't know that I've ever eaten so much cheese in one day!! It's amazing how a recipe can have the same ingredients and yield such different flavors. Mozzarella was the only cheese we all got to make, and then we helped or watch the instructor demo a very long list of cheese and other milk products: We made butter, cultured buttermilk, sour cream, cream cheese, yogurt, labneh, cottage cheese, feta, two kinds of ricotta, mozzarella, creme fraiche, herbed cheese log, and a whey smoothie. Many of the cheeses needed to drain or sit overnight, so things were prepped for us to see different stages. I left with a ball of mozzarella, an herbed cheese log, a jar of marinated feta, and a jar of marinated labneh (yogurt cheese). Just amazing!! I can't wait to get home and try some of this out.

No comments: