Friday, March 2, 2012

Class 4: Bodice

I'm still very much enjoying my sewing class. Week 2, we went over the pattern instructions related to cutting out your pattern, and how to make some minor alterations. I got over my fear of using the rotary cutter without a ruler. Week 3, we learned about pattern markings, and then the teacher demoed how to do darts, gathers, understitching, and a few other techniques. I learned a lot of new terms, and had a major d'uh moment about tracing the markings from the pattern. I've never done this. I've always used the notches but never any of the markings! (And despite there being a lot of markings on my bodice, I didn't use any...yet.)

This week was all sewing! The bodice of my dress also has a lining, so I get to do everything twice! That meant 8 princess seams. I did the first one no problem, but then had trouble with the rest of the ones for the front bust. It's tough getting them pinned and going slow on the machine so the fabric doesn't pucker or gather. But it was all easily ripped out and I got it right. The back princess seams weren't as steep and not as challenging. I completed the bodice, and now just need to add the cap sleeves and skirt. I think I'm in good shape to finish during the last class. Here's a really bad photo of my bodice taken with my cell phone. I think if you squint you can just make out my lovely princess seam.

I've now added a tailor's ham (which really does look like a canned ham only padded) to my growing wishlist of items.

No comments: