Saturday, March 23, 2013

Kitchen Demo Day 38

Time to take a break from the demo part and discuss kitchen backsplashes. So last week when I went to The Tile Guy shop, I looked at travertine and faux travertine tiles for the backsplash. They are pretty, but very neutral. To jazz it up, I could add a mosaic border...along the lines of this.

One of the challenges is I have a spectacular floor (or I will once I get a few things fixed...I don't want to talk about the problems I've encountered yet) and the granite will also be a little busy. So the travertine is calm and will allow everything else to be the star. The problem for me is that it's beige. It does come in warm tones, and I do think it looks lovely with the granite, but it's kind of boring.

I've spent the last week coming to terms with the fact that I might just have a blah backsplash. Last night I looked at glass mosaics to use as a border and found these two. I like the one with the purple in it.

So I went to the tile shop today, and John, who helped me before was there. He's amazing. Knowledgable and has a good eye for things. Anyway, I also had my paint swatch. I'm do the olive in the dining area. He pulled out a beveled subway tile in celery, which is calm but not blah. It doesn't have the high gloss as the other colored ceramic/porcelain tiles I'd looked at and looks great with my granite.

As we're talking he said I could still do a mosaic border in there, but it might not need it. But then an idea hits him and he shows me this stunning ceramic mosaic. It's got a bit more blue in it, but wow!! I really like it. It comes in this cool basketweave pattern that would be pretty darn awesome because that reads arts and crafts so much.

I also asked him to show me this hexagon tile in yellow. It's blended so there's a bunch of different yellows. I saw it last week and it stuck in my head. It could work.

Anyway--I've gone from blah to OH! I'm going to wait to make a final decision until granite is in and I can see the samples with the full size granite.

No comments: